Mold is a problem in many homes and businesses, and it can cause a range of health issues if left untreated. It is especially common following a tropical weather event or after a water damage emergency, such as broken pipes. Within just 1-2 days of water damage, mold can start to grow, and if left unchecked, it can lead to serious health issues. But how can you tell if mold is toxic?

While not all mold is toxic, certain strains of mold, such as Stachybotrys chartarum, commonly referred to as black mold, produce mycotoxins that can possibly be harmful to human health. In this article, our team at A+ Restoration and Cleaning, located in Panama City, Florida, will discuss how to identify potentially toxic mold and what to do if you find it on your property.

Identifying Toxic Mold

The first step in identifying toxic mold is to look for signs of mold growth in your home or business. Mold thrives in damp and humid environments, making the Panama City area a prime location for mold infestations. Check areas like bathrooms and crawl spaces, where moisture is often present. Ceilings are another area where mold likes to grow. Look for dark rings or spots.

You should also be aware of musty odors, which are often an indicator of mold growth.

The next step is to determine if it is toxic. Toxic mold can show up in many colors, including:

  • Black 
  • Green 
  • Gray 
  • Brown 

Toxic mold can have a soot-like texture or a slimy, wet surface. Sometimes, you might spot furry brown or orange spots.

Remember, not all black mold is toxic, and not all toxic mold is black. To be sure, call A+ Restoration and Cleaning to take samples for mold testing.

Finally, pay attention to any symptoms you or others on your property may be experiencing. Exposure to toxic mold can potentially cause a range of health issues, including respiratory problems, skin irritation, headaches, and more. If you or someone else is experiencing these symptoms, it’s essential to call a mold testing company like our team at A+ Restoration and Cleaning.

Even if the mold is not necessarily toxic, when it’s discovered, it’s best to call our mold testing company to ensure your safety.

What are the next steps if I find toxic mold on my property?

If you suspect that you have toxic mold in your home or business, take immediate action to address the problem. The first step is to schedule a mold testing service with A+ Restoration and Cleaning. That will help you determine the type of mold present and the severity of the issue.

Once our team knows the type of mold you’re dealing with, we can take steps to remove it. We never recommend attempting to remove toxic mold on your own because it can release spores into the air. We have the equipment and experience needed to safely eliminate the mold and perform the job correctly. 

At A+ Restoration and Cleaning in Panama City, FL, we prioritize safe and effective mold removal. That’s why we use dry fog technology. It’s been extensively tested by the EPA and is completely safe for use around people and pets. 

Dry fog technology makes the remediation process much faster than traditional methods. There’s no need to remove furniture and belongings from your rooms because the dry fog particles don’t make anything wet. The tiny particles can access every portion of your property to destroy mold at its source, ensuring a thorough and effective remediation. Another benefit of dry fog technology is that it helps prevent mold from returning in the future, giving you peace of mind and a healthier living environment. 

Contact us at A+ Restoration and Cleaning if you’re dealing with mold in your home or business, and let us provide you with safe and effective mold testing and remediation today.