Being sick is never fun, and we take great care to keep our families safe and healthy.  Our environment contributes to that overall health and well-being. Did you know there is one sneaky, hidden danger that could be lurking in your home making you sick?  If you or a family member have noticed unexplained sickness, asthma-like symptoms, or respiratory issues, it’s worth taking a look to see if mold could be the culprit.

It has been shown that even healthy people exposed to mold can experience symptoms of coughing, wheezing, and other asthma-like characteristics. Prolonged exposure can increase the risk of infections or other respiratory illnesses.

Symptoms of mold sensitivity include:

  • nasal congestion.
  • runny nose.
  • skin rash.
  • watery eyes.
  • chest tightness.

For people sensitive to mold, these symptoms may be worse.  For people with asthma, asthma attacks may occur.  Additionally, people with impaired immune systems may develop infections- sometimes severe.

What should I do if I suspect mold in my home?

There are many types of molds that can infest homes and businesses. While some are more harmful than others, the CDC recommends removing any mold you find. It isn’t always obvious when you have mold growing. It can grow behind walls, in attics, and basements. The rule of thumb is if there is anywhere that is consistently damp, or you have had a water leak in your home, you probably have some mold growing that should be dealt with.

No matter the type of mold, or how you believe it is affecting you, the CDC recommends removal of any type of mold you encounter.

Happy parents watching their two children play on the rug in front of their couch in their living room without being sick from mold.

Concerned About Possible Mold?

If you are concerned that mold may be making you sick in your home, fill out the form here and we will be happy to schedule a time to take a look.  You can also call us at 850-842-0679.

4 + 9 =