pink mold

What is Pink Mold?

Mold is a naturally occurring substance, impossible to escape whether indoors or out. It becomes a problem when it develops a colony within your home, exposing your family and pets to extremely high levels of mold. But many people wonder: what is pink mold?

Fortunately, protecting your home from uncontrolled mold growth is a simple game of mastering the elements. Pink mold is no exception, and that’s good news, because despite it’s innocuous-sounding name, pink mold can be just as dangerous as any other type and A+ Restoration & Cleaning will explain why below. 

About Pink Mold

When you think of mold, you probably envision black or green spots. But mold can actually be a wide range of colors, depending on what type it is. Even pink. 

Pink mold is a fairly common variety known as Serratia marcescens. It is a water-borne organism that is frequently found in bathrooms because of the constant moisture. It’s often found on shower curtains and bathroom tiles. You have probably seen pink mold in a bathroom before an mistaken it for soap scum. 

Although it is called pink mold, this species sometimes develops an orange or reddish tint due to fluctuating temperatures. The color really doesn’t matter. What matters is identifying it and removing it before it has a chance to make you sick. 

What Causes Pink Mold? 

All species of mold are caused by the same factors. 

It all starts when an independent mold spore lands somewhere moist or wet. This is common in the bathroom because there is near-constant moisture. 

Once mold has found moisture, it begins to reproduce exponentially, spreading into a colony. Mold feeds on organic matter, which every home is full of, so finding a food source is no problem. 

Temperature is another factor that affects mold growth. Pink mold varieties thrive in warmer climates. Again, bathrooms are ideal because they usually remain toasty and warm. 

If these conditions are present, mold can grow anywhere in your home. 

Is Pink Mold Dangerous?

Yes… and in more ways than one. 

Slipping Hazard

Pink mold feels slimy, so it can cause your bathroom floor or tub to become slippery and dangerous. 

Not all molds become slippery. Some have powdery or furry textures, so they don’t pose the same falling risk. 

Typical Reactions to Mold

In other ways, pink mold is dangerous to your respiratory system. While not as threatening as black mold, this species can still cause shortness of breath, coughing, headaches, and skin rashes in humans and pets.

These reactions are common, but they don’t necessarily mean you have a mold allergy. If you have pink mold – or any other type – in your home, you will notice a musty smell, and people in your home may also experience these physical reactions. 

Serious Health Risks

Just like all other mold varieties, you run the risk of minor and serious health conditions when exposed to pink mold. Some of the less severe reactions are listed above. Those symptoms are generally mild and 100% reversible once the mold is removed. 

Some of the more severe conditions that can develop include the following: 

  • Bladder infections and UTIs 
  • Pneumonia
  • Meningitis
  • Infections in open wounds

These conditions can become chronic and leave behind lingering health effects that can never be fully cured. 

Remember that any type of mold is dangerous in large amounts and in an enclosed space. Having a home that is infested with mold is a sure way of needlessly exposing your family to health risks that are easy to avoid. 

Pink Mold Remediation in Florida & Alabama

Incorrect cleaning methods are ineffective against pink mold, and they can actually spread the mold around your home, making the problem worse instead of better. 

Scrubbing isn’t always the best way to clean mold off surfaces. You may just be pushing particles further down into the surfaces of your home. If this happens, mold can come back stronger than before immediately after your cleaning attempts. 

If you do decide to clean pink mold yourself, we have a few tips: 

First, recognize what’s worth saving and what isn’t. For example, inexpensive shower curtains can just be thrown away and replaced without the hassle of cleaning. 

Only remove mold from non-porous surfaces like tubs and showers using the process below. Anything else should be left to professionals.  

Removing Pink Mold Yourself

  1. Of course, you need to take precautions to protect yourself. Wear long sleeves, a mask and eye protection while removing mold.
  2. Make a paste of baking soda and dish soap using a 4:1 ratio.
  3. Apply the paste to the molded surface and scrub with a bristled brush, then rinse. This should remove mold on the surface. 
  4. To penetrate down to the roots, spray the area with a vinegar and water or bleach and water mixture. Do not mix vinegar and bleach! 
  5. Allow this solution to sit on the surface for 10 minutes before scrubbing and then rinsing a final time. 

Although this is a pretty simple process, it still involves some risk. The safest way to remove mold is to let someone else do it! 

A+ Restoration & Cleaning is specially trained in different types of mold and the best removal practices for each. We can handle large amounts of mold safely, without creating added risk for your family. Contact us today!

The Benefits of Trusting A+ Restoration & Cleaning


You can have a mold-free home within hours, not to mention the prompt service you’ll get from a team who takes mold removal seriously.


Certified professionals can provide a safe environment for the ones you hold dear. Doing it yourself is a gamble, but if you hire the right team, you’ll know the job is done right. 


Our knowledge base is going to be second-to-none. Feel free to ask for advice for the future, so mold growth doesn’t disrupt your life again. We can also provide education about the type of mold you have and its unique characteristics. 

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *